Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympic Spirit

The blog was intended to be the location for my favorite fashion finds.  Instead it is going to be a collection of my favorite things - whatever they may be.  Right now, my favorite thing is the Olympics.  I love snuggling up in the cabin and watching hours of NBC coverage of the competition. 

Eight years ago, my family attended the Olympics in Salt Lake City.  We were fortunate enough to attend the mens 1500m short track speed skating and the first ever women's bobsled competition.  In both events, the United States took gold.  Most memorable was the short track where Apolo Anton Ohno skated to a second place finish only to have the first place finisher be disqualified.  I remember the Korean throwing his flag to the ice and skating over it in disappointment and the crowd erupting in cheers for Ohno.  Our seats were at the end of the arena and when the medals were presented, they were facing us!  Also that night in the Delta Center, the Canadian figure skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were awarded their gold medals after the judging controversy involving the Russian skaters.  I love the Olympics and as I watched Apolo Ohno compete the other night I couldn't help but be proud.  Not just proud that he is an American but proud that he is a fellow Washingtonian who is a great competitor with true Olympic spirit.


I am excited for the rest of the Olympics and I hope one day I can attend them again.  GO USA!

1 comment:

  1. Me, too! Good memories of those SLC Olympics. We had so much fun! Love your new blog. And your favorite things...could it be from your favorite movie?!

    ReplyDelete